Hall Place, Sparsholt
Hall Place, Watery Lane, Sparsholt
Wantage, Oxfordshire, OX12 9PL
A large, un-listed property with a separate annexe, set on a no-through lane in a highly sought after village of Sparsholt, with its Michelin guided pub, The Star, and access to the Downs
5 Reception Rooms
Mains water & electricity
Oil fired heating and private drains.
The village of Sparsholt lies at the foot of the Berkshire Downs, nestled amidst the stunning English countryside. It is a picturesque village located in the heart of the Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire and close to the ancient Ridgeway, Britain’s oldest road, offering excellent walking and magnificent views of South Oxfordshire. Steeped in history and exuding charm, this quaint settlement offers a delightful getaway to unwind, explore, and soak in the rich local culture. It is a quiet and sought-after village, with an excellent pub & restaurant, The Star Inn. A wide range of amenities can be found in the nearby Market town of Wantage, only a few miles away, with its attractive square, restaurants, supermarkets and local shops.
More extensive facilities can be found in Newbury and Oxford. Road and rail communications are excellent, with Junction 14 of the M4 providing fast access to Heathrow (58 miles), London (80 miles) and the West Country, while the M40 accessed at Oxford provides a route to the Midlands and the North. Didcot mainline station is about 10 miles distant, with regular commuter services to London/ Paddington in around 40 minutes.
There is a wide selection of excellent private and state schools in the area, with The Manor Prep School, Abingdon Boys, St Helen and St Catherine, St Hughes, Stowe, Radley and Pinewood schools being very accessible.
Hall Place, SparsholtAbout this home
Tucked away at the end of a no through road, in a private position within Sparsholt sits Hall Place.
A superb family home of large proportions with wonderful character. Highlights include the simply stunning Jacobean Dining Room with magnificent oak panelling, a recently refurbished, centrally situated, open plan Kitchen and the glorious Drawing Room, with double height ceiling complete with architraves and ceiling mouldings. There are seven bedrooms, and the Master bedroom suite is superb and characterful, with an attic sitting cum dressing room and large ensuite bathroom. There is additional secondary accommodation in the form of a separate, one-bedroom cottage. In total there is just under an acre of beautiful, and private, gardens.
• Hall Place is a substantial and imposing Jacobean country house
• Believed to be the oldest house in the village, the original part was built in 1623, during the reign of James I. It is not Listed and over time has been substantially remodelled and enlarged.
• Hall Place is privately set back from the lane and approached by an electric gate and sweeping, gravel driveway. It has many original features including mullioned windows and oak panelling, which are reputed to have been taken from one of the local churches in the seventeenth century.
• Set over three floors, with five reception rooms and seven bedrooms, the property combines character and modern living in tasteful harmony.
• The vendors have spent a great deal investing in the infrastructure of the property during their tenure and have created a wonderful family home with a good flow and impressive reception rooms.
• There is secondary accommodation in the form of a separate one-bedroom Cottage with living room, kitchen and shower room, that is also well presented.
• The property also benefits from having a stabling, comprising of two loose boxes and garaging, as well as ample parking.
• The gardens comprise well-stocked borders and mature woodlands with a wide variety of specimen and fruit trees.
• A separate private gate leads up the lane to the heart of the village and the Michelin Guide-rated Star Inn
Learn more about the home & area with our local expert Nick Loweth
Nick is an immensely experienced agent, having formerly worked for Strutt & Parker and Knight Frank. Focussed on West Berkshire, North East Wiltshire, North Hampshire & South Oxfordshire, Nick prides himself on excellent client care and has a passion for dealing with the top-end of the market.